Benefits of Foam Mattresses and Cushions
For some, trailers, vans, and RV’s are their home. For others, it is their home away from home when traveling outdoors. With a more confined space than traditional homes, it is important to maintain a comfortable living space. An excellent way to accomplish this is by ensuring the mattress and cushions in your van or RV are comfortable.
When purchasing a used van, the foam can be old, worn down, and will not provide adequate support. For newer vans or RV’s, manufacturers may have skimped on providing quality foam in the mattresses and cushions. While comfortable at first, the mattress and cushions will quickly deteriorate and become uncomfortable.
The best solution to increase comfort levels in your living quarters is to replace the foam in your van and RV cushions. While potentially a daunting task, we make buying foam inserts easy. Simply click on the shape you need and put in the necessary dimensions.
Choosing Foam For Your Van or RV Cushions
There are several foam options for van and RV cushions. Below is a brief description for each applicable foam type and their quality. Please note that not all foam types listed are available for all foam shapes.
- Commercial Grade Polyurethane Foam: An economical solution that is ideal for lower-end cushions and mattresses that get limited, occasional use.
- High Density Foam: An upgrade from Polyurethane Foam. A good quality foam that is widely used in the furniture manufacturing industry because of its price to performance ratio.
- Lux Foam: An upgrade from High Density Foam. A great quality foam option for cushions and foam mattresses. Available in medium-firm firmness only, it is ideal for those who prefer a firmer cushion or mattress.
- High Resilience Foam. An upgrade from Lux Foam. An excellent quality foam for cushions and mattresses. This foam will provide excellent support, comfort, and durability. High Resilience Foam is our recommendation for cushions.
- Latex Foam: Top of the line foam for cushions and mattresses for RVs and campers. Latex Foam will offer excellent support, comfort, and longevity. It is also naturally resistant to mold and mildew.
- Memory Foam: A very comfortable option when used as a topper for a foam mattress or cushions. We do not recommend using Memory Foam as one solid foam insert.
How to Measure Cushions
Get a measuring tape and measure the length, width, and thickness of your seat cushions. We recommend adding 3/4″ to all seam sides. For example, if the width of your cushion measures 24″ from seam to seam (side to side), the dimension should be 24.75″.
For an added aesthetic look, you can wrap the foam inserts in Dacron polyester fiber. We recommend 3/4″ thick. Adding Dacron does not decrease the 3/4″ we recommend adding to your foam’s seam to seam measurement.